Know Your Ships – A complete entertaining Guide to Great Lakes Freighters passing through the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair and the St. Clair River.
More Than Just a Boat Watching Guide
Know Your Ships, a guide to area freighters passing by us, now at 184 pages and bursting with color photos of lakers past and present, is meant not only for those with a casual interest in the parade of nautical commerce that passes our shores, but also for more serious-minded individuals who have a passion for the ships that ply the inland seas.
Some refer to the annual Know Your Ships as the “Boatwatchers’ Bible.” We think of it as a field guide to boats and boatwatching on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway.
About Our Book
Know Your Ships offers everything ship fans need to know about the freighters, tankers, tugs, barges, salties, passenger ships, international visitors and other vessels in regular Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway, including owner and port of registry, year and shipyard where built, length, beam, depth, cargo capacity and former names, type of engine and horsepower.
The 2019 edition includes…
- Changes in the shipping scene from year to year, chronicled in the “Passages” section.
- Meanings of whistle signals.
- Seven pages of colorful stack markings of all Great Lakes & Seaway fleets, including stack markings of many of the saltwater fleets that regularly visit the Seaway system.
- Maps of the Great Lakes and Seaway system.
- A guide to Marine Museums of the Great Lakes.
- An “Extra Tonnage” section that includes a look at cargoes carries by lakers. a locks and canals profile, and charts that show travel times and call-in points for the St. Marys, St. Clair and Detroit rivers so you can track the progress of your favorite freighter.
Great Gift for Boaters!